Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Late First Term Musings

It has been a while since I've posted anything.  Sometimes the most well intentions get thrown to the wayside in the midst of the madness that is the school year.

My hope was that I'd eventually have student content and students posting on this blog.  Once I get more settled in and more consistent, I still plan on making that happen.  As for right now, here is an update on what is going on in each class:


  • 8th Grade Technology Literacy Careers:  In one of my favorite projects of the semester, my class collaborates with another class.  That class deals with engineering, so they end up creating a product and sell it.  My class is responsible for marketing the product.  It is truly a fun experience getting the students to each see some of the different functions of marketing work.  The project simply goes a week and a half, and we'll be moving on to our big career research paper to round out the term.

  • 7th Grade Computer Applications:  We just finished up a menu project in which students use a creative theme menu as the vehicle in Word to demonstrate the skills they have gained so far.  Next up is a mini unit in Excel and a project that gets students used to working with Google Docs.

  • 6th Grade Keyboarding:  Students are working hard now on the top row numbers.  They are also striving to make gains in their GWAM (typing speed).  As an aside in our block class, we are currently working in PowerPoint.  Following that, we will be spending some time in Excel, as well as taking a quick tour of the other applications available to students, as well as some of the applications in the cloud.  After that, we will be working on understanding search engines and improving our searching abilities.

  • Enrichment:  The 6th Grade Enrichment classes are both wrapping up their first presentations.  The big struggle for these students was getting them to limit the amount of text they had on each slide.  I forced them to only use six or less words per bullet point, and no more than six bullet points.  I'm looking forward to seeing how they do when they present in front of the class!  My Monday/Wednesday 7th Grade Enrichment class is investigating holidays and traditions around the world to help gain a global perspective.  My Tuesday/Thursday 7th Grade Enrichment class is beginning to film videos on following the rules.
Okay, I think I got it all out.  Working my hardest to finish the semester out strong.  Until next time...

1 comment:

  1. When I took a high school business class, more than a few years ago, we did not use computers. Your classes just have to be some the most popular and rewarding being offered.Perhaps some may even enjoy the business world, after finishing, rather than have to WORK for a living.

    ReplyDelete